FUNCTIONS OF DIRECTORATE
- Promotes the vision, mission and objectives of the Commission
- Performs such other duties assigned to s/he by the TEC Act or as the Commission may direct
- Records minutes of the Commission’s meetings.
- Reports to the Commission during meetings on activities of the Secretariat.
- Ensures total compliance with financial and administrative rules and regulations of the TEC.
- Liaises with the Sierra Leone Government, MDA’s, Tertiary Education Institutions, and International agencies in pursuit of the Commission’s work.
- Submits and follow-up on annual and multi-year budgets, funding requests and financial reports to the Government of Sierra Leone and the Commission.
- Calls regular meetings of the Commission on the advice of the Chairman.
- Performs such other functions as may be assigned by the Chairman and/or the Commission.
- Helps promote the vision, mission and objectives of the commission.
- Oversees the administrative operations of the commission under the guidance of the Executive Secretary.
- Ensures reliable and timely provision of services for the smooth running of the Commission.
- Performs human resources duties such as reviewing applications for vacant positions in the secretariat, coordinate interviews, annual performance evaluations and other personnel related activities
- Appraises and guides other members of staff in respect of job requirements, job descriptions and expectations.
- Be responsible for the management of the vehicular fleet of the Commission.
- Be in charge of security matters of the commission.
- Represent the Commission in external fora as assigned by the Executive Secretary and/or the Chairman of the Commission.
- Carry out other duties assigned as may be directed by the Executive Secretary and/or the Chairman of the Commission.
ACADEMIC PROGRAMMES, NEW INSTITUTIONS & LEGISLATION (APNIL)
- Facilitates advisory notes to the government, through the Ministry of Technical and Higher Education, on reviews and/or modifications of courses or legislations relating to Universities, Polytechnics and Teacher Training Colleges.
- Serves as a depository of all academic and non-academic programmes of Tertiary Education Institutions in Sierra Leone.
- Liaises with senates and the academic boards and/or any other such bodies of Tertiary Education Institutions for the purpose of fulfilling their obligations to the Commission.
- Facilitates the accreditation and affiliation processes of TEIs by the Commission.
ACADEMIC AUDIT & INSTITUTIONAL AFFAIRS DIRECTORATE (AAIA)
- Advises and recommends, when necessary, remedies for lapses in the delivery and performance of Tertiary Education Institutions.
- Encourage fair play in the admissions of students to Tertiary Education Institutions.
- Ensure fair play in the recruitments and promotions of staff in Tertiary Education Institutions
- Advocate for parity of esteem among the products of Tertiary Education Institutions
- Conduct periodic monitoring and evaluation of the facilities and programmes of the accredited institutions to ensure compliance with policies and quality assurance guidelines of the Commission.
DIRECTORATE OF QUALITY ASSURANCE AND NATIONAL QUALIFICATIONS FRAMEWORK (QANQF)
- Assist in developing strategic plans for accomplishing quality assured management systems in Tertiary Education Institutions.
- Promote a quality culture in the Commission and Tertiary Education Institutions.
- Oversee the delivery of the Commission’s Quality Assurance (QA) frameworks for academic courses and programmes.
- Assist in the Internal Quality Assurance (IQA) training of academic staff in Tertiary Education Institutions.
- Work with partners to develop the National Qualifications Framework.
- Establishment of the National Qualifications Framework Secretariat.
- Ensure the validations of qualifications and their equivalences.
- Registration of qualifications on the National Qualification Framework.
- Implementation and reviewing of Qualification Framework Procedures.
- Development of appropriate policies for implementation such as:
(a). Qualification Issuance Policy.
(b). Qualification pathways Policy to accommodate Lifelong learning.
(c). Qualification Register Policy.
(d). Qualification Type, Addition and Removal Policy.
CONDITIONS OF SERVICE AND DISCIPLINE DIRECTORATE (COS/D)
- Advises, monitors and ensures parity in the terms and conditions of service including recruitments and promotions of staff in Tertiary Education Institutions.
- Ensures equitable remuneration of staff in Tertiary Education Institutions commensurate with their qualifications, experience, status and expected outputs.
- Serves as the depository for all rules and regulations binding on the conduct of students and staff in the Tertiary Education Institutions.
FINANCE AND FUNDING DIRECTORATE
It is the responsibility of the Directorate, among other things to:
- Analyze and discuss proposed budgets of Public Tertiary Education Institutions before recommendations to Government through the Ministry of Technical and Higher Education.
- Seek funding from prospective donors in favour of the promotion of tertiary education in Sierra Leone.
- Examine the financial capacity of Public Tertiary Education Institutions in Sierra Leone to ensure cost effectiveness and efficiency in service delivery.
- Ensure proper and judicious management of the resources of the commission.
- Prepare payroll and attend to other fiduciary obligations of the Commission.
- Manage the payrolls of all public Tertiary Education Institutions.
© All Rights Reserved 2020